Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Blog #4

Now that I have been to Lydia multiple times, I was starting to near the end of my volunteer service. It is starting to make me sad, because I have started growing relationships with these kids and I love being involved and feel like I am making a difference. We had snack time as always and Julie and I helped prepare the drinks and fruit. After the snack we started to get into homework time. The last few visits I have had here, I have worked with Davonte and helped him with many subjects. I can personally tell he is improving on his skills, and he does not mess around much anymore because he knows I wont continue to work with him if he does.
During these past weeks I have been here, I have noticed that disclosure has presented itself. Disclosure can be viewed in many different ways and it came to my realization especially when I first started here that if I did not have disclosure I would not know what to do. If Joyce, or the children did not tell me what to do, I would be unaware of the rules and the way things are run. The kids are so wonderful, that they know what to do and they will show you the sections in their book that need to be done.
I have learned that I am grateful for having this opportunity. And although my service hours are nearing an end, I will still continue to visit Lydia home. I will now use disclosure more for myself in this situation, because I have noticed that I do disclosure a lot about myself. I will be working on this as well as my communication with the kids. Talking to the children is much different communication than how I should be speaking to Joyce, or the kid’s parents. I will continue to watch my words, and how I act towards the kids because they learn from others. I am happy that I can continue to come back and enjoy my time at Lydia.

No comments:

Post a Comment