Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Blog #3


The second week I visited Lydia home, I was much more comfortable there and I knew what to do when I walked in instead of standing around. After we had snack time and talked for a little while, we began to start homework time. I immediately noticed nonverbal communication. A young boy named Davonte kept looking at me and trying to get my attention without words. He finally asked me to get a pencil and I asked him if that meant he wanted me to help him with his homework. He then shyly shook his head, and it made me really realize that kids use non-verbal communication a lot. After I helped him for a few minutes and broke the ice, he seemed much more comfortable and was communicating with me normally. We worked on some reading, and other sections in his book like comprehension and math.
Once homework time was over, he ran off to go play with the boys. I noticed then that one of the little girls had brought over a monopoly came and started setting it up by me. She was using nonverbal actions and assuming that I would know that she wanted to play with me. I finally asked her and she said yes. I think the kids are shy, but I also think that some are brought up in a way that they just show and object or motion their hand to something that they want. I know growing up I did the same thing because my mom always knew what I was not actually saying.  
Nonverbal communication is always present, but I have never really noticed how much it is actually present. I am now more conscious of the actions and how it relates to everyday life. I know that for future times I come here, to try and be more open with the kids and recognize how they communicate with myself, and other peers. I am excited to go back and see the kids again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment