Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Blog #2


    My first day at Lydia home was on a Tuesday afternoon, at 3:30 pm. Once I arrived Joyce, the owner, said hello and asked me to sign my name and what time I started. Then she quieted the kids down, and they had to go wash their hands. I was surprised on how well they children listened to her, but it was the tone of her voice that caught them off guard I think. Once they were done, one of the children prayed, and thanked God for having us as volunteers and that really touched me. It was important to me to know that they cared and were grateful for us. We had snack time next, and then homework time was next. She asked the kids, who had homework, and then they raised their hands and she assigned me to a young boy. 
   His name was Axaveion, I asked him how to say his name and taught me. He was really shy at first and he acted like he did not know the material he had to learn that day. He had a list of words that he had to be able to pronounce without sounding them out. He was struggling in the beginning but after we went through them a couple of times he understood and was doing really well. I noticed that language plays a big role in helping kids because I gave him little hints of how to say the word and showed him things he could remember how to say it. I was not talking down to him, because the words were obviously much easier for me to say then him, but my language with him was helpful I think. After an hour passed, it was play time! I ended up meeting many of the kids because we went outside and played on the playground. It was nice to have Clare and Julie there because I did not really know what to do. 
   After we played outside for a half hour or so we went back inside because some kids parents, or guardians were there to pick them up. Overall the day was really fun, and I cannot wait to go back again! Language really stood out to me today because I noticed that a lot has to do with they way you talk to someone for them to respond to you in the way you expect. I hope next time I can work with him again, because I enjoyed it and he was such a sweet kid and a hard worker. I want to see how is test goes, and if I helped him!

No comments:

Post a Comment