Thursday, October 25, 2012


I chose to volunteer at Lydia Home. I am so excited to participate and give back at this organization, because I love working with kids. One hope I have is to get the most out of it and hopefully feel better about myself once I have completed this process. I hope to help the children with their homework to the best of my ability and to keep them focused. Another hope I wish for is that I will be able to come back even after my service hours are over.

An assumption I have made is that it might be challenging have a child talk to me, or they will not want to do their homework. I also assumed that it might not be the nicest place because they don’t get paid to run the program and it is in a “bad” neighborhood I have heard. Also I assume that it will be a good learning environment for the kids, and have a safe haven for them.

I already know that I is an after school program for kids who need help, or their parents have work so someone will drop them off until they are done. I know that some of the kids do not have a good home life, so they come to Lydia for help and to just feel loved and have attention on them. The populations that the home serves are mostly African Americans, and part of the lower class.  I know that all the kids attend to a local school, although they may be behind in the school work or a grade.

I have a passion for working with kids, mainly because I help my three little cousins at home, and my other cousin with down syndrome. I love making them feel worthy, and smart. It feels really good to know that you are helping someone, especially a child succeed. I also have many interests in helping kids, before my major now, I wanted to do something with children. Maybe teaching or something along those lines. Although I chose to do journalism, I will always a interest to helping children and being with them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment